Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ender's Game

by Scott Orson Card

I first read this book with my sci fi classes this spring, and I "read it cold" with them (meaning I read it along with them) so that I could experience it the way they did. I enjoyed it, but I knew there was more "meat" in it that I could discover before teaching it next year. The writing is extremely well done, and the plot is engaging.

Set in the distant future, Earth is in jeopardy from the Buggers, an alien race that we have fought before, narrowly winning. Commanders are seeking the "one" who can save the human race, and Ender is it. He is chose, at age 6, to attend Battle School (in space) and be trained in all aspects and strategies of war. Readers follow Ender though his training and his promotion to leadership positions. It's fast-paced, but also deeply character-driven. Readers will be left wondering what, exactly, we should be doing in war, politics, and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment